Thursday, March 1, 2012

February, the Month of Coloring, a Recap

February went the way of January with not nearly enough time during the week to "be creative."  Why does time seem eternal when sitting behind your desk at work, but there are never enough hours once you return home in the evening?  If only I could paint or color or sew (ha ha - sew - like I know how to do that) at work, all of my time problems would have been solved.

I did creatively shower one afternoon when our apartment complex lost water due to an extreme broken pipe.  Took 'em three days to fix that shit.  Three. Days.  One does not truly appreciate running water until it is gone.

Don't know what you got till it's gone
Don't know what it is I did so wrong
Now I know what I got
It's just this song
And it ain't easy to get back
Takes so long


Ahem.  Cinderella.

It was a cold shower.  And not one I hope to repeat any time soon.

I didn't tackle nearly as  many things on my list as I had hoped to.

 1. Draw, color, paint.
 2. Make another robot.
 3. Make an awesome paper airplane and/or oragami.
 4. Make a candle.
 5. Put together a little bonsai zen garden in my mom's greenhouse.
 6. Try new recipes, mostly cupcakes.  "Making" toast will not count.
 7. Flip through the craft books that I borrowed from Mindy for other ideas.
 8. Work on the Antarctica map project I've been kicking around in my head for years now.
 9. This list has to go to 10.
10. Writing exercises.

Wow, ok, so I basically only did number one (heh, that means pee) and sort of number three.  Perhaps I should have referred to this list sooner than March 1st.  0.o

Mostly, I colored.  A lot.  It was my default activity and though it felt a bit like cheating or "phoning it in" (taking a picture to take a picture), I found myself looking forward to it.  Sometimes stress gets the better of  me and sitting down with a coloring book (don't judge) was incredibly cathartic and relaxing.  I could disconnect and enter a very zen-like must-stay-in-the-lines state.  And I got smelly makers, which added to the experience.  Lemon yellow was the best.

So, I colored.  A lot.  These bastards take an eternity to finish.






My favorite.




A work in progress.  Like your face.
OHH!

Despite not venturing too far from the color, sketch, draw-things-in-Paint realm, I feel good about the month.  Could I have gone out of my box a bit more?  Sure.  But, it is what it is, and it was fun and fuck it, it's my damn challenge anyway.  I CAN DO WHAT I WANT! 

I did learn things though:  I can't draw for shit, but I can color like a boss.  That's nothing to shake a stick at.

You can shake a stick at this though.

I am still sad.

I'll likely keep drawing silly things throughout the year because it amuses me to do so and it will help liven up my March posts about meditating, which aren't likely to be too riveting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. You da best!