Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chaff

I love this challenge.  I love the shit out this challenge.  It's so cathartic and eye-opening and fun and other adjectives to go through drawers, closets, BASKETS, more drawers and closets, getting rid of the chaff.  Fuck you, chaff.

Chaff.
I had a 13" DVD/VHS TV collecting dust in my closet -- GONE.  I had 10's of VHS tapes sitting around in a box -- GONE.  I had an alarm clock that hadn't alerted anyone about anything in years -- GONE.  I had a stupid little Ikea lamp (I do not love lamp)  I couldn't find a regular-ass light bulb for -- GONE.  Gone baby, gone.

Farewell uncomfortable and/or ugly shoes.  You no longer have a place here.

Why you hurt my feet?
As luck would have it, getting rid of ugly/uncomfortable shoes provided extra storage space for important things like tutus and animal ears.

Burning Man, 2012!  It's on like Donkey Kong.
...
I've never really understood that expression. 
"A phrase to denote that it's time to throw down or compete at a high level; something is about to go down."
Thank you, Urban Dictionary (.com)


What else?  Military uniforms and combat boots galore.  Shipped off.  Not going to lie, those were toughies.  As we all have a tendency to look at the past through rose colored glasses, I have nothing but fond memories of my years in the Air Force.  I know there were some shitty times (there's a reason I got out, after all), but I don't remember what those shitty times entailed.  Still, it was time to let go.  Hanging on to a bunch of old clothes I'm never going to wear again is a bit silly.  I still have the memories, as well as plenty of other military-related paraphernalia hanging about.

My uncle, Johnny, is now the proud owner of the murder-death-kill cold weather parka and the rest went to the thrift store on Ft. Myer.

I did hang on to a couple of things...

I got something southerly you can watch.
(that's a terrible joke)
I had the pack made when I was in Saudi Arabia.  You gave them a BDU (that's "battle dress uniform", civilians) shirt and probably way too much money and they gave you an adorable pack in return.  That I've never used.  Ever.  Not even once.  But it sure does take up space nicely.  The desert boots still fit, are very comfortable and I can see them being useful in some sort of outdoor endeavor.  The green camo on the left (can you see it?) are Gortex pants, which I decided to pass off to the thrift store; someone will surely get more use out of them than I will.

Hooah, Air Force!

Progress, folks.  So much progress.

(Love this challenge!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting. You da best!