Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Pile

You may notice, dear readers, that my blog has a new look.  I don't know if you've heard, but I like clouds.  I think they are pretty.  (THEY MAKE ME HAPPY!  BACK OFF!)  Blogger doesn't have a 'cloud' template (weird, right?), so I made my own.  That's right; I drew those beautifully sculpted clouds all on my own and figured out how to update the HTML to display them.  *pats self on back*  And now you, too, can enjoy happy, puffy blog clouds.  You're welcome.  Please tip your blogger.

Before I tell you about the other things I am getting rid of this month, let me first apologize.  I'm sorry.  I really am.  This is a universal apology to anyone who may have given me something I am about to get rid of.  I sincerely appreciate the time and/or money you spent on <insert gift here> and I hope this won't preclude you from buying me another wonderful gift at some point in the future.  I enjoyed the time I had with <insert gift here>, but we all grow and change as people and the interests we had five or ten years ago don't necessarily hold true today.  Rest assured, I will find <insert gift here> a good home and it will be well taken care of.  

Just not by me.  I'm sorry, I love you and your hair looks great today.  New shampoo?  Whatever it is, it's really working for you.

Here we go...

Pillars of dust.
I bought these candle holders, uhhh, ten years ago?  Ten-ish?  I don't remember exactly.  I'm pretty sure I got them at Pier 1, maybe TJ Maxx, maybe somewhere else entirely.  I don't think I've put a candle on them in about, oh, nine years.  They sit on a shelf because they are made of pretty colors, but since I can't even remember the circumstances in which I bought them... goodbye, fair candle holders.  Our time together has been well spent.

No.

This coffee mug holder is made of cheap, flimsy plastic and I find that I am annoyed by it more than I get use out of it.  Fare thee well, coffee mug holder.

Mug Holder of DOOM!
I have a Marshall Island stick chart.  A Marshall Island. Stick chart.  I didn't buy it.  My uncle, Bob, gave it to my dad, who had no idea what it was; I felt that as a mapmaker I should take it off his hands since I could at least identify it.  Thought I might hang it in my office.  Thought it might be an interesting conversation piece, a quirky touch.  Silly girl.  I dug it out from underneath my couch the other day, where the only thing it had been touching was bits of dust.

What's a Marshall Island stick chart?  Marshall Island stick charts were used by dudes back in the day to navigate the ocean.  The charts represented swells and waves and shit, and how the islands (of the Marshall Islands) (stick chart) disrupted the motion of the ocean.  True story.  I read about it in a book once.  Here's my Marshall Island stick chart:

(Marshall Island stick chart)

Ok, that's not really my stick chart.  The picture I took of my Marshall Island stick chart is on another computer, so this will have to do.  I'm sure you get the idea.  Waves, swells, islands, navigation, check.

If I had a Heather Stick Chart, it would look something like this:

It makes perfect sense to me.
(stick chart)

1 comment:

  1. Sadly the puffy clouds don't show up on the mobile version so I'm very sad. The stick chart makes perfect sense to me. I also believe they were used to configure the layout of the Northern Virginia road system.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting. You da best!