Saturday, February 18, 2012

Birthday Narwhal

My darlin' friend, Jennie, turned 30-Fabulous this week.  I drew a number of delightful, charming pictures in my favorite medium, Paint, and hung them around her office.  My favorite, by far, was the Birthday Narwhal.  Does the Birthday Narwhal exist outside of my special, happy place?  I don't know.  You have to decide that for yourself.  Look inside; what's in your heart?

For me, on that particular day, he was in my heart and needed, nay, demanded, to be expressed in colorful, artistic pixels.  Narwhal or bust, you might say.

The Birthday Narwhal is happy you were born.

My inspiration:


Curious about that long unicorn-like horn (narwhalcorn?) sticking out of its head?  That's a tooth, my friends.  Yes, an inscisor tooth.  I know, right?  What the fuck?  Little evolutionary misstep, perhaps?  Darwin?  Hello?  Anyone?

According to the Wikipedia, the most widely accepted theory is that it's a "secondary sexual characteristic." They help the dude narwhals maintain dominance or "help young males develop skills necessary for performance in adult sexual roles." 


Father:  "Ok, son, you take *this* and you stick it *here*.  That's all you'll ever need to know."
Every woman ever:  "Um, actually..."

Scientists also liken the tooth the tail feather display of the male peacock.

Photobucket
Just take that ass to the floor
Pop something move something
Shake ya tail feather, girl go and take it low

Yeah, you shake those tail feathers, Birthday Narwhal.  Shake 'em.

2 comments:

Thanks for reading and commenting. You da best!